21 Oktober 2010

Roo can be true Blue


KIT PARADE ... how he'd be in Chelsea strip
KIT PARADE ... how he'd be in Chelsea strip

WAYNE ROONEY last night dramatically opened the door on a move to Chelsea.

In a stunning public declaration, Manchester United striker Rooney confirmed he is quitting Old Trafford.

United last night accepted the statement effectively spelt the end. The England superstar claims he made his decision after failing to get any assurances about United's future from Old Trafford chief executive David Gill.

The Sun revealed on Monday that Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is desperate to sign Rooney - but the Blues will not go beyond £160,000 a week for the hitman. However, Rooney's statement insists money is not the issue.

He said: "I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad. I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract.

"For me it's all about winning trophies."

That brings Chelsea firmly into the equation and last night skipper John Terry urged Rooney to join, saying: "We've got a great squad of players and he would add to that and strengthen the squad.

"He is the best player in the world for me."

And even Blues striker Nicolas Anelka, who could lose his place to Rooney, said: "If he wants to come to Chelsea he would be very welcome. Would I buy him? Of course I would, he's a good player."

Rooney's statement came 24 hours after United boss Alex Ferguson's emotional version of events.

He lamented the role of Rooney's agent, and clearly suggested money was being put ahead of loyalty and trust.

Rooney, out with an ankle injury, said: "I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say and was surprised by some of it.

"It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract.

"During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world."

Rooney claimed he was not disrespecting the club or the fans but simply believes it is no longer the place to land the biggest trophies in the game.

He said: "For me it's all about winning trophies - as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

DUIT